Using an aromatherapy diffuser is one of the best ways to enjoy all the natural wonders that the essential oils have to offer. The diffuser allows the therapeutic and aromatic properties of the oils to work while you go on with your daily tasks.
According to Lea Harrison, when looking for the best aromatherapy diffuser to buy, there are several important factors to consider. The choice will also depend on your personal preferences, usage, and the environment where it’s going to be used. Because of the popularity of essential oil diffusers, you’ll find that there are plenty of them being sold in the market now.
Choosing the best diffuser to buy might be a little bit difficult especially for first-time users of this device. So to help you with, here’s a guide on how to choose the best aromatherapy diffuser.
How Does the Aromatherapy Diffuser Work?
When it comes to knowing how to choose the best aromatherapy diffuser, it’s important that you first understand how this thing actually works.
Basically, the process of diffusion refers to producing a fine mist into the air coming from the essential oils, which makes them available for easy inhalation. As soon as the oil is dispersed into the air, they will remain suspended there for several hours and will continuously freshen and improve the air quality in the surroundings.
As we continue to breathe the oil, they will get into our mind, body, and spirit, and deliver a host of therapeutic benefits. The benefits will vary depending on the type of essential oils you have diffused, but these benefits can improve your health and wellbeing.
Why Diffuse Essential Oils?
Using an aromatherapy diffuser to diffuse essential oils is one way to make the oils easily available for our mind and body. It’s also possible to inhale the essential oils manually, making us feel and relaxed. But with a diffuser, you no longer need to keep on manually inhaling the oil because the device will automatically disperse the oil’s healing properties into the air in your surroundings.
The fine mist that results from the diffusion will allow us to easily inhale the essential oils. Our sense of smell is directly linked to our brain by means of the olfactory system. This is a powerful system that influences our emotions, memory, and hormones. The incoming aromatic molecules coming from the essential oils will get into our body through our nose with every inhalation that we make, which can help to improve our emotional wellness by making us feel relaxed and rejuvenated.
Inhalation also allows the molecules of the essential oils to easily get into our respiratory system. From here, they get carried into our bloodstream and circulated in each and every cell in our body. While in these cells, the essential oils will begin to activate your body’s ability to heal itself and improve your health.
Aside from the health benefits that the aromatherapy diffuser gives to our bodies, it also helps to minimize the airborne chemicals in our surroundings, reduce fungus and kills any bacteria present. Thus, the quality of air in our surroundings will be greatly improved when using the aromatherapy diffuser.
Diffusers Versus Humidifiers
Speaking of improving air quality, another device that you’ll most likely encounter with during your search for the best aromatherapy diffuser is the humidifier. You might be wondering how these devices differ from each other.
Contrary to what many people thought, there is a huge difference between a humidifier and a diffuser. The most significant difference is their main uses. While the aromatherapy diffuser is used to diffuse essential oils to improve our health and wellbeing, the humidifier is used mainly for the purpose of keeping the air moist.
As mentioned, diffusers emit fine vapor into the air so that the essential oil molecules will be suspended into the air allowing us to inhale them easily. An aromatherapy diffuser makes use of essential oils while the humidifier uses water. Furthermore, the humidifier works by using heat to develop mist, but diffuser does not require heat to function.
Basically, the main function of the humidifier is to fight off the symptoms of flu, cold, and other breathing issues. But diffusers combat these problems ahead. They prevent these issues from happening by eliminating bacteria in the air and improving your health and wellbeing.
Different Types of Diffusers
Now that you knew the differences between a diffuser and aromatherapy diffuser, let us take a look at the different types of diffusers that are available in the market:
1. Ceramic Diffuser
This diffuser works by allowing the essential oils to disperse and evaporate into the air. A ceramic or terra cotta diffuser is used to hold the essential oil, thus, the name. These diffusers are more suitable for use in large areas, including the outdoors.
2. Reed Diffuser
These diffusers work by means of rattan sticks that have small channels allowing for the oil to travel through the stick and be diffused towards the air.
For this type of aromatherapy diffuser, lighter oils are often used, such as the bergamot, grapefruit, and lemon essential oils. They tend to be diffused faster than the heavier oils like the sandalwood and patchouli.
3. Electric Diffuser
Just like the ceramic and reed, the electric diffusers work without using heat. The essential oils are often placed in a pad or mixed with water. Then an electric fan within the diffuser will blow the air at the pad, dispersing the oils towards the air.
4. Candle Diffuser
These diffusers work by heating essential oils using a candle in order to provide diffusion to the space. Heat diffusers are the cheapest way to diffuse essential oils but they are not the safest. Also, the heat has the tendency to alter the chemical properties of the oil so you won’t get the optimal benefits of the essential oil.
5. Nebulizer Diffuser
These diffusers work by breaking the essential oils to small molecules before finally dispersing them to the air. The device is equipped with motors and a bottle or glass cylinder where the essential oil is kept.
6. Ultrasonic Diffuser
This device makes use of electronic frequencies in producing vibrations in water that will then produce fine mist and essential oils are released.
Since this diffuser makes use of water, others would use the device as a humidifier to help increase the level of air humidity, especially during winter.
Best Diffusers in the Market
Now that you knew a bit about the aromatherapy diffusers, it should be easy for you to choose which diffuser you should buy. There are many different brands of aromatherapy diffusers available in the market and here are some of the best brands that are worth checking out:
- Homasy Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser – the Homasy essential oil diffuser is available in different capacities, 100 ml, 200 ml, and 400 ml. If set in a low mist mode, the 400 ml is capable of running up to 9 hours, and 7 hours when set in high mist mode. This diffuser is great for the office and home use and you can leave it running continuously all day or all night, allowing you to fully reap the rewards of your preferred essential oils.
- Asakuki Premium Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser – the Asakuki aromatherapy diffuser is available in 500 ml capacity, so it’s great for those who need a diffuser with an extra large tank. It features 7 different LED colored lights and multiple misting nebulizer modes. Furthermore, the device has a safe auto-off switch that gets activated as soon as the tank runs out of the water.
- Arvidsson Essential Oil Diffuser – this essential oil diffuser is known for its unique and artistic design. With its compact design, you can move this device from one room to another. It’s great for home and office use, and with its stylish design, you can display it in your living room or office space. Adapting the ultrasonic technology, the Arvidsson essential oil diffuser works very discretely and produces extremely fine mist.
- InnoGear Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser – the InnoGear is one of the top-rated aromatherapy diffusers in the market. Its ease of use, portability and good looks have made it the number one choice for homeowners who need a diffuser for a small room or office space. The device is capable of operating up to 6 hours or 3 hours straight and it will shut off immediately as soon as it runs out of water.
- HappyDemy Ultrasonic Oil Diffuser – HappyDemy is known for its stylish wooden tulip design. Its sleek and stylish shape makes it a great diffuser for display at your living room or office. The best thing about this device is that you can leave it to operate on its own because it will immediately turn off once the water runs out. It has a well-regulated mist output and depending on the settings you choose, it could operate up to 14 hours straight.
Hopefully, this guide can help you to decide on the best aromatherapy diffuser to buy in the market. Remember that each brand comes with its own pros and cons so take time to read reviews before you make a purchase.